What do you think is the finest feature of the new Apple laptops with the new ARM-based M1 CPU? When compared to several other Intel and AMD technologies, the design is comparable to that of their iPhones and iPads, making the CPU very efficient and comparably small. The long-awaited shift away from Intel x86 CPUs has now been revealed. Apple is delivering the raw processing power of the iPad Pro range to the Mac with this update.
However, one detail grabbed our attention: a decrease in the number of external monitors that may be connected. The M1 MacBook Pro and MacBook Air do not support more than one external display and in turn, narrows the possibility to connect multiple displays to M1 Mac. Two external displays may be connected to the M1 Mac mini, one through HDMI and the other via Thunderbolt 4. Also, because M1 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro only have Thunderbolt 4/USB-C connections, they can only handle one display.
Even if you are using a dock with dual video-out ports, it will not help since the M1 Mac would not detect the second display you have attached. On the M1 MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, meanwhile, there is a smart workaround that allows you to use several external displays.
Learn ways to Connect Multiple Displays to M1 Mac or Macbook
You can connect multiple displays to M1 Mac or Macbook using a multi-display dock with DisplayLink capability. The trick is that DisplayLink needs the installation of a driver on the MacBook.
For M1 MacBook Pro and MacBook Air
- To begin, you will need to obtain a 4K DisplayPort to USB 3.0 or HDMI converter. A Thunderbolt dock with DisplayLink compatibility is also available in the market, some of the Display ports that you can choose from are:
- Caldigit TS3 Plus
- Plugable 4K DisplayPort and HDMI Dual Monitor
- USB-C to DisplayPort Cable
- OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock
- Plugable Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station
- AmazonBasics USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter
- On the M1 Mac, download the DisplayLink program. This is significant since it is through this driver that Big Sur on M1 Macs can identify several displays.
- Link the M1 Mac to the dock, then plug all of your external displays into the dock. If this does not function, attach one monitor to the dock and link a USB-C to DisplayPort/HDMI connection to the M1 Mac manually.
- The best part is that this solution is that it appears to not affect the performance. Several YouTubers have confirmed that you can utilize several external displays with your M1 MacBook Pro or MacBook Air without compromising functionality.
For M1 Mac Mini
The Mac Mini is the only Apple gadget without a display, unlike the rest of Apple’s products. The power cable, regulatory data, and an Apple sticker or two are the only ‘accessories’ included in the Apple box. That implies you will need your own keyboard, mouse, and a minimum of one display.
Things may be different with the M1 Mac Mini especially in comparison to the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro. You can link multiple devices to the Mac Mini not more than that and then use multiple displays simultaneously. Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 connectors, as well as a single HDMI 2.0 port, may be found on the rear of the Mac Mini. However, if you are ready to invest in an external hub, you may take things a step further. Thus, this means that you can attach several screens to the M1 Mac Mini. You may also want to explore using an external hub and ensuring that the displays adhere to Apple’s requirements.
Also find out: Back up Emails on the MacBook
No one really appreciates restrictions or making compromises, especially when it comes to such a large sum of money. When it comes to selecting different resolutions for a display linked to an M1 Mac, you must make a choice. Apple has said that a future edition of macOS Big Sur would address this issue. However, that update has yet to be implemented.
Thus, you will need to get some USB to DisplayPort adapters as well as the DisplayLink software to make it work. Also, according to rumors, a fully revamped MacBook will be released this year. It is expected that a new 14-inch model, as well as a new edition of the 16-inch model, would be added to the range.