Amongst the most effective tools for accessibility on the iPhone and iPad is AssistiveTouch. It allows you to create gestures and operate the iPhone with software shortcuts rather than physical buttons. If the Home button on the iPhone is damaged, you may still use it with the support of AssistiveTouch.
What is AssistiveTouch?
Apple’s AssistiveTouch function makes it easier for people with special needs to use their iPhones and iPads. Users may use this functionality to generate virtual buttons on their Apple devices’ screens. They may utilize the on-screen buttons rather than the actual buttons to do multiple activities. Changing the volume, utilizing the lock screen, performing multi-finger gestures, and rebooting the device are examples of the activities that can be performed with AssistiveTouch.
When activated, a transparent circular button displays on the Home Screen of the iPhone or iPad. And as soon as you touch it, a menu with a variety of alternatives appears. Now you need to select the activity you need from the menu and it will be completed. You can consider this a shortcut tab that allows you to capture screenshots, use custom movements, activate SOS, launch App Switcher, and so much more.
How do you turn on AssistiveTouch on the iPhone or iPad?
The AssitiveTouch may be enabled in three different ways.
The first method is to ask Siri. Launch the iOS assistant and tell it to enable AssistiveTouch mode.
The device settings are the second process:
- Open the Settings app and choose Accessibility from the menu.
- Choose AssitiveTouch from the Touch menu.
- Now, turn the switch that is present beside the AssistiveTouch.
- A circle button will show on the display as soon as you switch on the setting.
- On the iPhone or iPad Home Screen, you may move it to any edge. Till you move it again, AssitiveTouch will stay in place.
The Accessibility Shortcut is the third option.
- First, you need to go to Settings, then click on the Accessibility option; next, you need to go to Accessibility Shortcut and select AssistiveTouch from the menu.
- This approach has the advantage of allowing you to rapidly turn on or off AssitiveTouch by simply tapping the power or home button thrice.
How to enable and disable AssistiveTouch with the help of the Control Center?
Users may include the Accessibility Shortcut control to the Control Center if they wish to rapidly disable and enable AssistiveTouch from Control Center.
- On the iPhone or iPad, here’s how to enable Accessibility Shortcut control to Control Center Open Settings.
- Navigate to the Control Center’s settings.
- Scroll to the bottom and press the (+) button to include Accessibility Shortcut.
- To reorganize controls in the Control Center, press the three-line icon. Next, open Control Center and click the Accessibility Shortcut icon.
- You will be presented with the features activated in Accessibility Shortcut.
- Switch the functionality on or off by tapping AssistiveTouch.
How to create a custom gesture with AssistiveTouch?
To make a custom gesture, you need to follow the steps below:
- Firstly, head to the Settings app and then go to Accessibility
- Click on touch in the Physical and Motor option
- Now to Create a personalized new Gesture Swipe anywhere or in any pattern to make a new gesture. For example, you can make an I or Z, your choice, go ahead.
- Give it any title to save it.
- Click Customize Top Level Menu once again under AssistiveTouch.
- Select Custom from the menu under the Tap an Icon to Change option.
Scroll to the bottom until you locate the identical gesture you made a few steps earlier under customized gestures in the list that appears. To choose it, click on it. After that, you may choose a function for the custom button, such as locking the screen of your iPhone or iPad.
How can you include a custom virtual button under Assistive Touch on your iPhone?
Using AssistiveTouch, you can also create a custom virtual button. Follow the instructions below to proceed:
- First, you need to click on Customize Top Level Menu below AssistiveTouch and then on the plus sign (+) beside the icon set.
- Choose a function for the custom button and then press Done.
- You can however quickly erase the custom button by pressing on the minus (-) symbol in the bottom right corner of the Tap an icon to Change section.